Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Things from My Past

My mother has been cleaning out her closets again, and the other day, she brought over some things of mine that she found. One was this picture. It was taken when I was eighteen and at the pinnacle of my riding ability. My horse was a very green Thoroughbred that I had trained. You cannot quite tell how big that jump was, but it was four feet, seven inches tall. We were riding in a gymkhana (basically, games on horseback), and I won this competition by jumping the highest jump. Boy, was I proud of my horse!

Some other things that my mother found were replies to my wedding invitations. We sent out formal wedding invitations, but we did not include RSVP's. Our church was big so we were not worried about not having enough room, and everyone was invited to the reception. We didn't care how many people were at the reception. We prepared the food we thought we needed, but if we ran out, oh, well. (I don't think we did, though.) Anyway, I can't believe that people responded; it doesn't even cross my mind to RSVP for a wedding unless they include something to mail back. And several people send formal replies. I think it's pretty neat! The funniest one, though, was the pastor who married us. He was not the pastor of our church at that time, but I grew up under his teaching so I wanted him to marry us. His wife sent a very polite and formal reply that they would be there...which I think is funny since we had already had our marriage counseling with him!

It's amazing what kind of things we can find "hidden" in our closets!

3 comments:

Tracey said...

What a neat picture!! Do you still ride?

Nikki said...

Tracey, no, When we had children, we just didn't have the time for it anymore. So we sold our little farm and moved to suburbs. Sometimes, I miss it, but most of the time, I don't.

Laura said...

What a great picture!! Abigail is fascinated by it. That is a high jump!