Sunday, March 6, 2011

I Was a Wand'ring Sheep

This hymn is one of my favorites. While I haven't actually sung it in many years, I still love it. Apparently, it's not a popular and familiar hymn. The pastor that introduced it to my church retired, and we haven't sung it since. One day, I'll sing it again. One day.

I was a wand'ring sheep, I did not love the fold;
I did not love my Shepherd's voice, I would not be controlled.
I was a wayward child, I did not love my home;
I did not love my Father's voice, I loved afar to roam.

The Shepherd sought His sheep, the Father sought His child;
They followed me o'er vale and hill, o'er desserts waste and wild;
They found me nigh to death, Famished and faint and lone;
They found me with the bands of love, They saved the wand'ring one.

Jesus my Shepherd is; 'twas He that loved my soul,
Twas He that washed me in His blood, 'twas He that made me whole;
'Twas He that sought the lost, that found the wand'ring sheep,
'Twas He that brought me to the fold, 'tis He that still doth keep.

I was a wand'ring sheep, I would not be controlled;
But now I love my Shepherd's voice, I love, I love the fold.
I was a wayward child, I once preferred to roam;
But now I love my Father's voice, I love, I love His home.

*words by Horatius Bonar

Do you know this hymn? Do you sing it in your church? If so, let me know when and where so I can come visit!

No comments: