Friday, March 18, 2011

Finished Object Friday


Since yesterday was St. Patrick's Day, I thought we would celebrate by making cupcakes, green ones to be exact. At first I planned just to make plain, ole white ones with either a buttercream or a cream cheese icing, and then dye them green with food coloring. But I wondered why we couldn't make chocolate cupcakes with green icing? Suddenly, I had an inspiration. Do you remember the cake I made for my birthday two years ago? No, I'm sure you don't because you didn't have a piece. Well, in between the two layers of cake is a peppermint filling, and I decided to use that for the icing for my cupcakes, dyed green, of course. I wasn't sure how it would work since the icing was actually pink from the crushed peppermints in it (can you see them in the picture?), but it did! And, boy, do they taste good! Chocolate cupcakes with peppermint frosting. Yum! (I wish I had pictures of Sarah Beth and Daniel licking the beater; they had chocolate and frosting all over their faces!)

In case you're wondering about the recipes, I used the recipe for the red velvet cupcakes out of Anne Byrn's Cupcakes: From the Cake Mix Doctor (omitting the red food coloring and using chocolate pudding instead of vanilla) and the peppermint frosting came out of her book The Cake Mix Doctor.

To see more projects, or to add your own to Finished Object Friday, head over to Fresh from the Chari Tree.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Those look wonderful!!

Charity said...

Those do look yummy!! I love chocolate and peppermint together. :) I made some shamrock shaped sugar cookies with green frosting. Didn't get a picture though.. and I believe they are all gone! :)

Marva said...

Oh my! Those look yummy! Wish I loved closer! :)