Friday, March 11, 2011

Booking It: March Edition II


I didn't read as much this month as I did in February. Since my goal is only to read two books a month, I was able accomplish that.
  • I started Joy Unspeakable: Power and Renewal in the Holy Spirit by Martyn Lloyd-Jones but had theological questions about the main premise of this book. After consulting my theological expert (my father), I decided not to finish this book. The main idea behind this book (as far as I can tell since I only read through page 72) is that baptism with the Holy Spirit occurs at a different time than regeneration. Yes, all Christians have the Holy Spirit inside of them, but not everyone has been baptized with Him. If you have a different conclusion or thought about this book, I would love to hear it. I did enjoy Lloyd-Jones' writing style, and I know that he is a great teacher, so I will probably read more of his works.
  • When I read Flight of Shadows last year (not realizing it was a sequel), I knew that I had to read Broken Angel by Sigmund Brouwer. I was not disappointed. This book takes place in the near future, but our world has been transformed into something almost unrecognizable. Appalachia has seceded from the United States and formed a religious government based loosely on the Bible; but in actuality, this government is a dictatorship, ruling by fear and ignorance. Caitlynn and her father are on the run from a bounty hunter, but Caitlynn doesn't understand why. All she knows is that her father has lied to her for her entire life about where she came from, and she suspects that's why they are being chased. Caitlynn has to learn to deal with the betrayal she feels for her father, and she has to learn to trust others, something she has not done before. I enjoyed this book although the world it portrays is frightening.
  • I finished Joy: A Godly Woman's Adornment by Lydia Brownback this month, too. I have to admit that I was a little skeptical because my experience with devotional books like this is that they tend to be shallow. I really expected to read that we should always be joyful, no matter what, and that is the main thought behind the book. However, Brownback takes it deeper and writes more thoroughly about why we should have joy and how to obtain it. If you lack joy, I really recommend this book to you.
  • I also read Mansfield Park by Jane Austen as part of the "required" reading. You can read my review here.
Currently, I am reading Hidden in Plain Sight by M.G. Selbrede and The Mission of Motherhood: Touching Your Child's Heart for Eternity by Sally Clarkson which I look forward to reviewing for you next month.

To see what others have been reading, head over to Life as Mom.

3 comments:

Shonda said...

Oh, I look forward to hearing about Mission of Motherhood.

FishMama said...

I haven't read Joy Unspeakable, but my husband has read A LOT of "the Doctor" and loves him. He says your dad's conclusion was correct -- or at least that is the conclusion he came to when he read that book. But, even though he differs with Lloyd-Jones on that point, he has found amazingly good reasoning about a wealth of other things in his writings. (Hope that makes sense.)

Nikki said...

Fishmama, yes, it does. Thanks!