Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Book Review: Curiosities of the Civil War by Webb Garrison

The title of this book by Webb Garrison Curiosities of the Civil War: Strange Stories, Infamous Characters and Bizarre Events says it all. This book is an amalgamation of quick stories and notes relating events that transpired during the War Between the States.

This book was not quite what I expected. I expected each anecdote to be a page or two long, enough to whet my appetite for more, but also making for an interesting read. In fact, each snippet is just a paragraph or two long which makes this book choppy in its reading. The stories are interesting, just a little short. And there is little cohesion between the different ones. However, there is a lot of information in this book that you are unlikely to get anywhere else. I recommend this book to someone who is looking for some little known facts about this war as opposed to someone wanting to read an account of the war.

I want to thank BookSneeze for sending me a copy of this book to review, but my opinions are my own.

2 comments:

Charity said...

I was wondering about this book. Sounds interesting! :) Thanks for the review!

Nikki said...

Chari, you're welcome! If you get a copy, I hope that you enjoy it!