Thursday, February 10, 2011

What Kind of Christian am I?

Currently, I am reading Joy Unspeakable: Power and Renewal in the Holy Spirit by Martyn-Lloyd Jones, and I came upon this passage:
If we have no sense of responsibility for the condition of humanity at this moment, then there is only one thing to say -- if we are Christians at all we are very poor ones. If we are only concerned about ourselves and our own happiness, and if the moral condition of society and the tragedy of the whole world does not grieve us, if we are not disturbed at the way in which men blaspheme the name of God and all the arrogance of sin -- well, what can be said about us?
Oh, boy! Was I ever convicted! That one paragraph strikes down deep into my heart and shines a light on my selfishness and self-centeredness. Does the Holy Spirit ever convict you like this when you're reading a book? What do you do about it? I hope that I don't forget about it and return to my calloused living.

No comments: