Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Potty Training Update


It has been a little over a week since I started teaching Daniel to use the potty. Do you remember how reluctant I was to start? Now I wish I had started weeks/months ago because it's been so easy!

What did I do? How did I do it?
  • I read John Rosemond's book Toilet Training without Tantums by Parent or Child.
  • I realized that accidents were inevitable. Instead of worrying about preventing them, I prepared for their clean-up. This preparation relieved so much of my stress.
  • I bought two potties: one for the living room where we spend most of our time downstairs, and one for his room upstairs.
  • I prepared Daniel by telling him that we were going to start on Monday.
  • I bought a bag of m&m's.
Monday, however, was not a good day to start. I should have waited until Tuesday because I was exhausted from working that weekend. On top of that, it seemed like everything that could go wrong that morning did. But we persevered, and I knew I was getting somewhere when Daniel left a "trail" from the library to the living room because he was trying to get to his potty. Today I plan to start working with Daniel to use the "real" potty, so I don't have to clean out his little potty anymore.

A funny story: Last week I used a timer to remind Daniel to go sit on the potty, but we only needed it on Monday and Tuesday because he started going by himself before the timer went off. Yesterday morning, I needed the timer for something else, and when it went off, Daniel said, "Time to use the potty." He still remembered his training from last week!

Lest you think that Daniel is all trained, yesterday afternoon...well, let's just say that he's not. But he is well on his way.

I'm already planning for Rachel's training. Rosemond recommends potty training between the ages of 18 and 24 months, so I'm looking at early fall while it's still warm.


4 comments:

Laura said...

Way to go, Daniel!! He looks so proud of himself! I'm thinking of using one of those little potties with Noah. I've always used a seat on the big potty before, but I'm wondering if he'd do better with the kind that you use. Does Rosemond have an opinion one way or the other?

Nikki said...

Laura, yes, Rosemond recommends using these little potties and putting them in the room where they spend the most time. You're welcome to borrow one of ours; we're not going to need them much longer, I don't think.

Nikki said...

I remember the excitement of a potty trained child. Guess I'll be starting all over again in a year or two.

Nikki said...

Nikki, I think I'm more excited about it than Daniel is. It's so nice having that many fewer diapers to change!