Monday, February 28, 2011

What are My Children Learning?

The other day, as I was reading from The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson (one of the titles on my 2011 reading list), I came across this paragraph:
When we choose to graciously overlook our children's messes and accidents, we are teaching them to be patient and forgiving with the mistakes of others. When we react sensitively, thoughtfully, and patiently to them, we are helping to instill these qualities in their lives. As they benefit from our unconditional love, they learn to extend it to others as well. As they watch us extend hospitality, care for others, and pray for them, they learn to make service a part of life. And as they observe us searching Scripture, spending time with the Lord, and making faith-based decisions, they learn these things as well. Modeling loving service to our children gives them something to emulate in their own lives.
Are you as convicted as I am? What do my children learn when I snap at them, when I am too busy to listen to them, when I want them to leave me alone? I cringe when I think about it. I thank God for this reminder that my children watch everything I do, and they learn so much more from what I do than from what I say. If I want them to emulate me, I need to be an example worth following.

No comments: