Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Puzzles

Christmas night after everyone had left, John and I helped Daniel and Sarah Beth put together puzzles they had received as Christmas presents. As I helped Daniel, I had to keep saying things like, "That one won't fit yet," "That piece doesn't go there," "Turn it over," "It's upside down." Sometimes, I even said, "Put this piece in right there, just like that."

Since Daniel is not even three yet, he really doesn't see the big picture of puzzles. He just tries to put pieces together. Aren't we like that sometimes with our lives? I can picture God watching as I try to fit parts of my life together. "That won't fit yet; it's too soon." "That doesn't go there." "That one has to be rearranged before it will fit." Instead of my frustration with Daniel ("Just put it there, like that!"), God is always patient with me, even as I try to force pieces of my life together that don't fit. He can see the big picture, and I can see only part.

Putting together the pieces* of our lives would be so much easier if we would just relax and let Him lead us, wouldn't it?

*Not that my life is in "pieces." Far from it, things are going very well right now, but I think you know what I mean.

3 comments:

Marva said...

Thank you for this Nikki! I so needed it this morning! Hugs and blessings!

Laura said...

So true! I think sometimes I keep trying the same piece over and over again too. :)

Nikki said...

Marva, I'm glad you found this post helpful.

Laura, I forgot about that one!