Thursday, January 20, 2011

Finished Object Friday

I finished this blanket for John...finally. I feel like I've been working on it forever, although it's actually been less than a year. (Here is the first post I had about it.) Thank you for all of your suggestions about which color to use for the border. I decided to use green because, well, I like green, and I thought it would look lovely. After crocheting around two and a half sides (about 45 minutes worth of work), I didn't like the green at all. It disappeared when it bordered a green square, and it clashed horribly with the red ones. *Sigh* So I pulled it all out and rechecked the pattern. I discovered that none of the gray squares were on the outside of the blanket, so if I used gray, it wouldn't "disappear." And the gray is nice and neutral so no clashing.

(I also discovered that I made a mistake...not my first in the blanket. There's not supposed to be a gray square on the outside, but I have one. As I always say, mistakes just show that it was handmade. Another interesting thing, while I'm confessing, my squares started out with 13 repeats or 26 rows; halfway down, there are 14 repeats, and at the end there are 15. Oh, well!)

Anyway, John likes his blanket and that's really what matters, isn't it? It ended up being about 4 feet by 6 feet which is the largest blanket I've made.

While I finished up this blanket, we had a cold snap, and I enjoyed having this blanket in my lap while I was working on it. When I finished it, I decided I should make a blanket for myself, but a smaller one. Do you remember the blanket I made for Daniel? Well, he didn't like it. The other day, he saw a blue one in a book and asked me to make it for him. Whose should I start first? Mine or his? What do you think?

7 comments:

Mindy said...

I really like how it turned out! Good choice!!! Especially for such a nice simple border. Beautiful work.

Marva said...

It is lovely!!!! Great job and great choice!

Nikki said...

Thanks, ladies!

Charity said...

Very pretty!! I like the gray! (I've had a thing for gray lately for some reason.) :)

Tracey said...

I really like the gray! I wish you lived close by so you could teach me how to make those!!

Nikki said...

Tracey, I would love to be able to teach you! I'm sure that someone near you knows how to crochet and would be glad to teach you.

Pamela said...

What a beautiful blanket! It looks so warm and "manish." Lovely work with such even stitches. Isn't it fun to finish a project and get to plan a new one?!!