Friday, January 28, 2011

Book Review: The Miracle of Mercy Land by River Jordan


The Miracle of Mercy Land by River Jordan is a strange story. Mercy Land works for the local newspaper editor "Doc," and one night a book appears mysteriously, i.e. supernaturally, on Doc's desk. This book has the ability to show the entire life of the people within its pages. They decide the book has appeared in order for Doc to make right a wrong he committed many years ago, and John Quincy is brought into the story. Of course, John is not who he appears to be.

As I said before, this is a strange book. While Mercy's parents are devout Christians (and portrayed in a good way), Mercy herself and Doc seem not to be. They never pray about the book, even when their lives are endangered by it. There is a strong good vs. evil part to the storyline, but it's not overtly Christian. This book almost reads like an allegory, but it's not. Do I recommend this book? If you like strange stories like this, sure. It is well-written, and I do not feel like I wasted my time reading it. If you like your books to make a little more sense, well, maybe you should stay away from this one.

I want to thank WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group (aka Blogging for Books) for sending a copy of this book to review, but my opinions are my own.

3 comments:

Tracey said...

Thanks for the honest review!

Have a great weekend!

Laura said...

Yeah, that is a strange story. And River Jordan is actually the author's name? That's funny!

Nikki said...

Tracey, they ask for an honest review, so that's what I give them!

Laura, that's what the book says. It may be a pseudonym, I don't know, but I agree that it's a little weird.