Monday, December 13, 2010

Christmas Meme

Here is a fun Christmas meme I found at It's Almost Naptime. Feel free to play along!

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Hot Chocolate, definitely. Honestly, I've never even had egg nog. (It just sounds gross.)

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Santa does not come to our house, so all the presents get wrapped.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
This dilemma was huge when John and I got married. I grew up with small, white lights, and he grew up with BIG, colored lights. We compromised with small, colored lights.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Nope. Don't need to.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
Usually, the week before Christmas, however, we bought and decorated our tree last Saturday.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
I don't really have a favorite, but I love that there is a great excuse this time of year to make cookies and pies. Yum!

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
I don't really have a favorite; they were all good but not spectacular. (I hope that doesn't sound like I'm complaining because I'm not.) However, my Granny used to make all kinds of candy when we came to visit for Thanksgiving and Christmas: buckeyes (or peanut butter balls), turtles, Mississippi mud, etc.. It was wonderful to walk through the dining room and eat a piece or two without my parents saying I had had enough.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I never believed in Santa Claus. I have a brother and sister who are almost five years older than I am. They probably spoiled it for me, although I really don't know. I don't feel like I missed anything, though.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
What a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion!

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
We just put lights and ornaments on it. How do you do it?

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Love, Love, Love it! Since we live in the Deep South, we never get it. It's always a holiday (literally!) when we get some.

Funny story: The only white Christmas I have ever had was in Jacksonville, Fl., visiting my grandparents. But it wasn't snow; it was ice.

12. Can you ice skate?
I doubt it since I've only tried once and that was in high school.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I'm not sure what my favorite was, but one of my favorites was a clock-radio (remember those?) that my parents gave me when I was about twelve. The neat thing about it was that it played tapes. Oh, I loved that present! As a matter of fact, I still have it. Thanks to my trusty (old!) clock-radio, I know what it is in the middle of the night and I'm never late to work or wherever else I'm heading for the day.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
The most important thing is that Jesus Christ gave up the splendors of heaven for us (for me!) and came down to earth as a lowly, poor baby. Isn't that amazing?!

Of course, I also enjoy spending time with family.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
I think I have a new favorite: Grasshopper Pie. Yum!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Opening presents. Is that bad? Maybe we need to start some traditions.

17. What tops your tree?
Honestly, we have an angel for the top of our tree, but I really need to replace it. Angels aren't pretty tree-topping things; they are scary creatures. Whenever they appeared to men, the first words they uttered were, "Don't be afraid."

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
While I enjoy both, I have to admit that I prefer receiving. It's my love language.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
"Joy to the World!"

20. Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum?
Yum.

21 Favorite Christmas Show?
No doubt about it, my favorite show is A Christmas Story. "Don't shoot your eye out!"


22. Saddest Christmas Song?
Christmas should be a happy, joyful time because Christ came to be with us. Immanuel! If pressed, however, I guess I would have to say "Mary Did You Know?," but I don't much care for that song...probably because it's sad.

Let me know if you play along with this meme so I can head over and read yours, too.

1 comment:

Marva said...

Great list! I will have to find time to do this in the next few days! Blessings!