Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I'm Booking It: October Edition


This month I read some diverse books, but I enjoyed them all.

Who Left that Body in the Rain
by Patricia Sprinkle is book recommended by my mother. While it's not a deep, thought-provoking book, I really enjoyed reading it every night before going to bed. The heroine is an older lady who lives in a small town in Georgia which is my home state, so I can relate. One of her good friends is murdered, and she sets out to figure our who murdered him and why. This book is good, clean fun.

I bought Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas as a newlywed, so I honestly did not get much out of it when I read it the first time. This second time, however, I did. Unlike the prevailing thought during the Middle Ages, Thomas argues that being married does not make you a second-class Christian. As a matter of fact, it can be harder to be married than not to be because of the added stress of living so closely with another sinner. I think the subtitle to the book says it all: What if God designed marriage to make us holy more than to make us happy?

Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston is another book I read about the internment of Japanese during the Second World War. This one is a true story, though, and it takes place when the author was just seven years old. I cannot believe how we Americans treated the Japanese during this time: forcing them into internment camps; taking everything but what they could carry from them; and most of all, stealing their dignity. What a hard book to read, and yet a good one because we need our eyes opened to the shameful parts of our history.

I also read The Moved Outers by Florence Crannell Means which is a fictional story about the Japanese internment. You can read my full review here.

I just started reading A Light in the Window by Jan Karon. I thoroughly enjoyed the first book in the Mitford series, so I imagine I will like this one, too.


4 comments:

Carrie said...

I loved all of the Mitford series, and if you liked the first one, then I'm guessing you will like the rest of them. Good stuff. "Farewell to Manzanar" sounds like an interesting book. I've only done a small amount of study/reading about the internment period in our own history, but it truly is sad and shocking. :-(

Shonda said...

I have always heard good things about the Mitford series. I need to get into them.

Nikki said...

Shonda, thanks for dropping by! I think you will like the Mitford series; I sure do!

FishMama said...

I never read Farewell to Manzanar. Going to add that to my list. Thanks!