Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mommy-to-be Advice

As most of my readers know, my cousin Angela is pregnant with her first child. She is due on Saturday and is feeling the typical anxiety of "will this baby ever come?" Currently, she is home on bed rest, waiting, waiting, waiting....

I thought it might be fun (and I hope she thinks so) to tell her some of the things that we have learned from being mothers that she cannot read in books. There is plenty, isn't there, that the books just don't tell you about having a baby.

This one is a little gross, but it's life. When you hear your baby poop, don't jump up to change her diaper. Wait a few minutes. I cannot tell you how long it took me to learn that; so many times, as I was changing Sarah Beth, more poop came out. I would really rather not see that.

One of my friends gave me this advice: hold and rock your baby as much as you want to. When she is older, you won't be able to. Even with the second one, you won't have as much time because of the demands of the first. Enjoy your baby while she is little.

What piece of advice or words of wisdom do you have for Angela? For that matter, do you have any for me? I'm expecting, too, you know!

5 comments:

Angela said...

Hey! I like this post, and I love your advice! That's something I definitely wouldn't have known otherwise :)

Anonymous said...

If the fluid exists in a child it will get onto you. We know this from both Sarah Beth and Daniel. Gross but true.

MyKidsMom said...

I tried to leave a comment yesterday, but it didn't take. Probably my computer. Anyway...

I just have to say that you made me laugh with your nugget of wisdom Nikki:) I'm wondering if anyone has warned Angela of the fact that basicly all a newborn baby does is eat and eliminate; oh, and if you're lucky, they sleep too. My luck wasn't so good in that area.

In spite of all the advice you'll receive Angela (and you'll get tons of it from total strangers) just remember that you're the mommy, and will know your child better than anyone else. Reading books is good, and asking people who have been there is often helpful, but you're the one who decides what's best for them. It's a little scary at first, but you'll get the hang of it. And like Nikki said, hold that baby all you want. I think those scheduling books are all screwy anyway. Just my opinion of course,lol.

Nikki said...

I have to agree about scheduling. I read one that said that the baby should sleep from 10 pm until 6 am the very first night! We only wish!

Small Town Mamma said...

UV works wonders for many stains - pasta sauce, poop on nappies - and on everything else! If in doubt, wash it, peg it on the line and leave it for a day....

And do whatever it takes for you to be less stressed - a happy mummy is a good mummy!