Monday, September 28, 2009

Another Book Review - This Time it's a Novel


I don't usually review novels on my blog. Why not? Just because. My mother recommended this one to me, and I loved it. As a matter of fact, I started it Friday evening and finished it Saturday. (You'll have to ask John if I neglected him or the children during the time I was reading.) The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows tells the story through letters of a small island in the English Channel during its occupation by the Nazis in World War II. This novel takes place in 1946, immediately after the war is over. Juliet discovers this society on Guernsey and is fascinated by it, so she goes to visit. Oh, I'm not doing well describing this at all.

Guernsey Island was occupied by the Nazis in 1940. They cut the telephone and telegraph cables to the island the day before they invaded, so there was no outside news for five years. Britain was worried about itself and was not able even to try to help defend the island. A few people founded this society (you'll have to read why for yourself) which helped them with the horrors and depression during the years of the war.

I don't think I have ever said this about a book, but I guarantee that you will enjoy this one if you read it. The love and friendship among the member of this group is astounding. There are tender, sweet vignettes, and there are some horrible ones (because of the war and concentration camps).

I also want to issue an apology to the ladies who are waiting to read my mother's copy of this book. Apparently, she moved me to the top of the list and bumped you all down a spot. I'm sorry! But I am her daughter!!

4 comments:

MyKidsMom said...

This sounds like a really good book Nikki. I just reserved it at the library, so I'm looking forward to reading it soon:)

Nikki said...

You'll have to let me know how you like it, although I really think you'll enjoy it.

hopeinbrazil said...

I finally read this because all book bloggers were raving about it. I don't usually like books that "everyone else" likes, but this one was endearing. I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

Anna said...

I loved this one, too. Would it be okay to link to your review on War Through the Generations?

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric