Monday, June 29, 2009

My Really Little Garden


Mrs. Darling is hosting a Tour of Gardens today, and I thought I would join in, even though my garden is so little compared to everyone else's.

I have squash on the left, zucchini next to it, Roma beans in the middle, and corn on the right. We had a storm a week ago, and one of the squash plants died as a result. It was weird. Anyway, it still had a couple of blooms on it, so we waited to make sure that it really and truly was dead before we pulled it up. Five minutes after I took this picture, John pulled that old, dead thing up and tossed it over the fence. I'm glad it's gone because it was shading one of the zucchini plants. I really planted my things too closely together, but I will know better for next year.

By the way, how do you know when corn is ripe and ready to be picked? I need to know! I have read that you should only expect one or two ears per plant, but each of my six plants have three or four ears. Wow! I cannot wait to eat some sweet corn, but I just need to know when it's ready.

6 comments:

Marva said...

Great job on the garden Nikki! How are you feeling? Do you have a due date yet?

The kernals on the corn need to be filled out and it's ready to pick! Keep us posted! Blessings!

Laura said...

Nice! So where did the green beans come from?

MyKidsMom said...

LOL Your garden may be little Nikki, but it is also definitely unique. I don't know anyone else using this system. It looks like your plants are flourishing.

Nikki said...

Laura, Roma beans are a type of green beans.

Mrs. Darling said...

Nikki you basically can tell when you squeeze the corn gently and the husk feels full. You can also go by the browning of the silk. If the silk is brown its ready. You may have to pull the husk back a little and check until you feel sure of how to tell.
Love the little garden. Thanks for joining the tour!

Small Town Mamma said...

Love the garden! Guess what? You won my Total Pamper Box giveaway!! Congratulations! Email me and I will send it out to you asap!