Monday, May 25, 2009

Book Review -- How the Irish Saved Civilization


Do you remember my new goal of reading a little bit of a "worthwhile" book in the morning with my quiet time?  I am not trying to supplant my time in God's Word, but it's the only consistent time I can find in my day to read something when I have the peace and quiet I need for these thought-provoking books.

I finished the first one How the Irish Saved Civilization - The Untold Story of Ireland's Heroic Role from the Fall of Rome to the Rise of Medieval Europe by Thomas Cahill this week, and I highly recommend it.  When Rome fell, the barbarians took over the land, and learning and literature were lost.  As that happened, Patrick took the Gospel to Ireland where the people embraced it and became scholars of all kinds of classical works.  Then they sent missionaries to the mainland who retaught the people there.  Unfortunately, the Vikings attacked Ireland and destroyed the centers of learning.   Ireland did not have a long period of importance in history, but God used that country to preserve books and learning.

This book is very readable; you know how a lot of history books are dull and dry.  This one is not.  The author brings out several different stories of the Irish that make this book interesting.  If you would like a good history book about this period of time, you ought to read this one.

4 comments:

Laura said...

You're fast, Nikki! Sounds like a great book.

Marva said...

Thanks for the review and congrats on meeting your goal! Yay Nikki! Blessings!

Nikki said...

Laura, fast? It took me a whole month to read it!

MyKidsMom said...

I definitely have to read this book. I'm sure the library should have it, so I'll reserve it today. Thanks for reminding me of it again. It sounds very interesting.