Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Goals

First of all, I would like to wish you a Happy New Year!!

Do you make New Year's resolutions?  I don't, and I never have.  I figure that if it's worth doing, it should be implemented now instead of waiting until a new year starts.  Also, I know that I am very likely not to follow through with resolutions.  However, I have decided that this time of year is a good time to make some goals for the next year.  I hope that John and I will sit down sometime today and discuss ours, but here are some of my goals for this year.
  1. I would like to crochet one baby blanket a month.  You know how much I love to make baby blankets.  I only have one friend who is pregnant (that I know of!), so I plan to donate the remainder to our local care pregnancy center.  
  2. I would like to have Sarah Beth learn all the letters in the alphabet.  We are doing it a little bit differently than most people, I think.  A speech therapist in our church recommended teaching her the sounds of the letters not the names because it will facilitate learning to read.  I think that is a great idea and makes lots of sense, so that's what we are doing.  Sometimes we play with the letter blocks, and sometimes while we are coloring, I draw the letters for her.  She knows A-E, but I think I will start skipping around now.  It would be nice for her to know T so she can spell "cat."  This method confuses babysitters when she points out the letter A and says "a."  (As an aside, I don't really care if she doesn't learn to read until she is six or seven, as long as she finds it fun.  I do NOT want this to become a chore and something she dreads.)
  3. I would like for Daniel to learn to walk.  I think he will do that without any help from me, though.
  4. I need to figure out the best time for me to exercise.  I have a walking video I like, but I just can't seem to find the time for it.  First thing in the morning would be best, but who wants to wake up early to exercise?
  5. I would like to spend time more consistently and more frequently in God's Word.
  6. I would like to start planning meals monthly instead of weekly.
  7. I would like to have people over more often.  As Christians, we should practice hospitality, and that is something that I need to work on.  My goal is to have someone over once a month, even if it's just a woman from the church over for lunch.
  8. I think I would like to join Facebook.  There are people on that site with whom I would like to reconnect, and that is the only means I have to do it.
I think those goals are enough for now.  As I said before, John and I need to discuss the goals we have for our family this year.  

What about you?  Do you make New Year's resolutions, or do you make goals for the upcoming year?  Would you like to share a few?

10 comments:

Marva said...

I have made resolutions in the past but I am having only hopes for the future! I have goals and I'll post about them later today.

You have a wonderful list! Sounds great! I love a new year!

Mnay blessings today and always!

MyKidsMom said...

No resolutions this year, but definitely goals. I don't think there's as much day-to-day pressure that way. I don't want to feel like if I mess-up a couple days, I'm blown for the year.

What walking video do you use? I really like Leslie Sansones (can't remember how you spell it exactly) because it's low-key but a great workout. But I'm always open to recommendations:)

Good goals for the New Year Nikki. And the hospitality one is definitely one I need to work on. We are real homebodies here, and love to just spend time with our family. I figure I'm very friendly at church and that should suffice. But you're right that we're supposed to be hospitable, whether it goes against our nature or not. Guess I'll have to put more thought into that one.

Tell Angela I said Hello:)

Sasha @ Cherished Moments said...

My goal is to have a little bit of 'me' time, even after baby 2 arrives in March. I envisage a 30 minute bath with nice smelly things in it, once a week. Or something like that!

Your goals are quite inspiring though - I am also a definite shy homebody, and need to make the effort to connect with people more.

Angela said...

I haven't made a list of goals, yet. That is something that I really need to do. I had already decided, though, that I am going to be more consistent on my devotional time....since right now I miss it a lot on the weekends.

Your goal to join Facebook one is a great one! You know Sherry has one now (even though Jon doesn't like it). I have mine still for the reasons you said -- to stay connected to old friends. I should warn you, though...it's totally addicting when you first sign up.

Angela said...

Oh yeah...the hospitality one is a great one, too. I absolutely love to have people over. We do a special thing in our Sunday School class where we break up into assigned small groups every week at the end of the lesson for further discussion, and Dustin and I are group leaders. We have always enjoyed having people over to our house, but it's even better now with the small groups at church because we've been inviting people other than just our regular friends over and now we are helping people to get involved and make friends when they might otherwise be intimidated by a large group. I feel like including hospitality as a part of our mindset really ups our effectiveness in ministry.

I can't tell if this comment is completely coherent, but hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to say.

IF said...

That is a wonderful list!!! I am on facebook too and try to check it every few days.
I hope you have a great year!

bigSIS said...

I taught my eldest the alphabet that way when I homeschooled and he was at a 5th grade level in reading when he went to public school for 1st grade. It works marvelously. I wish I had implemented it with my 2nd child. I am trying it with the youngest though!

Great goals. I too have various goals to reach this year. i've never believed in ny's resolutions either. I'd have failed miserably this year! LOL But I have lots of time to work on those goals of mine. I can't wait to look back and see all that I accomplished. Well, yeah, I can wait. I'll just look back on last year and think of the accomplishments I've already obtained! =) Happy New year!

Laura said...

That is a great list of goals, Nikki! The reading/spelling program that we are using sounds a lot like what you're doing. It teaches the sounds of the letters instead of the names. Most of the letters have more than one sound (U, for example, has three sounds, and they learn them in the order that they are most frequently used). It's working great for us so far!

I've thought about joining Facebook too...maybe I will soon.

MyKidsMom said...

Hello:)

Lura said...

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I agree w/ learning the sounds of the letters. One of my twins did that and the other learned the other way, but I think it will be easier for the one who learned sounds to read. I highly reccommend the Leap Frog videos "Letter Factory". That is how my boys learned. My then 2 year old knew most of the sounds of the letters from watching it. There are 3 other Leap frog videos like that and you can buy them in a set of 4 which is what I would do (we borrowed ours). Maybe you can check it out at the library and see if you like it first.