Friday, December 12, 2008

Recipe Fun Friday -- Gingerbread


What is it about gingerbread that makes one think of Christmas?  I honestly do not know why gingerbread is associated with Christmas, but we enjoy it this time of year.  When I asked John the other night if he wanted me to make it, he gave me a resounding "yes!"  So here it is.  Unfortunately, I cannot share the recipe with you because it is not mine to share.  Apparently, a couple of women in my church spent some time trying to come up with the perfect gingerbread recipe.  They shared it with  me, but I don't feel I should share it with you.  I'm sorry.  Here is a similar recipe, if you want to try it.  These ladies recommend making their gingerbread in a bundt pan, and I really wish I had taken a picture of it before I cut it because it was pretty.  Oh, well.  As they say, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.  The thing I find funny is that gingerbread does not have any ginger in it.  Isn't that weird?  It has molasses which is a little strong for me, but the whipped cream cuts it nicely.  And whipped cream is good on just about anything, isn't it?  Except maybe broccoli.

Do you have a recipe you would like to share?  If so, leave a link!


3 comments:

MyKidsMom said...

This looks SO good Nikki! Last night I was on AllRecipes and I bookmarked a recipe like this that they had highlighted.

My sugar cookie recipe is also MY secret recipe. I feel a little bad about it, because I used to HATE making sugar cookies until I found this one, but a friend gave it to me and asked that I not pass it on because of its uniqueness. I guess we all have to have our special recipes:)

Honestly, have you ever TRIED whip cream on broccoli? LoL Because you really can't say until you do. Although I prefer a little butter and garlic salt on mine;)

Nikki said...

No, I have not tried whipped cream on broccoli. I like mine steamed with butter. Yummy!

Marva said...

I know, I am a little strange, but I cannot stand gingerbread! Yuck! Looks good though, kind of like fresh apple cake! ;)

Gotta have my broccoli in amish broccoli salad!

You had a great post though and the whipped cream comment was worth savoring!


Blessings!