Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving Preparations

Last year, John, Sarah Beth, and I went to Louisiana to spend Thanksgiving week with his family. John's sister came in from Houston, so his whole immediate family was there, and we had a fun time. This year, however, we did not want to make the long trip with a nine month old, so we are staying here to have Thanksgiving with my family, at least some of it. We will have Thanksgiving dinner at my parents' house with my sister and her family. I think my older brother will join us, but my younger brother will spend it with his wife's family. (Our big family get-together is at Christmas.)

What kind of Thanksgiving plans do you have? Will you be hosting your family, or will you head to someone else's house?

Laura asked me for these recipes Saturday, and I thought you might enjoy them, too. They are quick and easy to prepare, and they taste good! The best combination for a recipe, don't you agree? (By the way, I plan to make them myself for our Thanksgiving!)

Easy Key Lime Pie
(from Real Simple June 2008)
1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 6 ounce can frozen limeade concentrate (not thawed)
1 cup heavy cream
1 6 ounce graham cracker piecrust
zest of one lime

Place the condensed milk, limeade concentrate, and cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat until fluffy and soft peaks form. Pour the filling into the piecrust and smooth the top. Refrigerate until chilled and loosely set, at least four hours (and up to overnight). Sprinkle the pie with the zest before serving.

Corn Bread Pudding
(from Taste of Home August/September 2006)
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can cream-style corn
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 package (8 1/2 oz) corn bread/muffin mix
1/4 teaspoon paprika

In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Stir in corn bread mix just until blended. Pour into a greased 3-qt baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm.

What dishes will you prepare? Isn't this a great time for old and new recipes that you don't get to make very often throughout the year?

4 comments:

MyKidsMom said...

Good Morning Nikki (or should I say afternoon?:).

We're staying home as well. We could have gone to a family get-together, but I wanted to plan a special day with our kids, instead of running around with lots of clean-up (somehow I always end up in the kitchen during the visiting time elsewhere). Our big family get-together is around Christmas also.

These recipes sound very southernish (uh oh, Angelas rubbing off on me,lol)

Laura said...

Thanks for posting the recipes!! Unfortunately I don't have a whisk attachment to my mixer. I thought the pie might work using a regular attachment, but I don't want to experiment on Thanksgiving. :) I found another Key Lime Pie recipe on All Recipes that I'm going to use this week. I wonder if I can buy a whisk attachment? Your recipe sounds a lot easier.

Nikki said...

Laura, I'm sure you could just buy the whisk attachment somewhere. If you're over this way, you may borrow mine, as long as you give me enough warning to get MY pie made!

Laura said...

Nikki,

Thanks for offering to let me borrow your whisk attachment, but I already bought all the ingredients for the other pie, so I guess I'd better make it now! I'd like to try your pie with my regular attachment between now and Christmas to see if it works. If it does, then I won't need to buy the whisk!