Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sick

There is a stomach flu going around our area right now, and I had it yesterday. It's the first time I've been really sick since I was pregnant with Sarah Beth. I was laid up most of the day. I don't know how we would have coped if John had not stayed home with us. I am so blessed to have a husband with a job that he can call in (most of the time) and take the day off. I was only sick twice, but I was light-headed all day. Yes, I am a fainter, and the stomach flu makes me faint-y. I am feeling much better today, but my stomach is still a little weak, and I'm still a little light-headed.

I had big plans, too, that are now ruined. Well, okay, they're not ruined, and I guess it's not that big of a deal, but I'm disappointed. We have a busy weekend coming up. We are celebrating Sarah Beth's birthday on Saturday (her actual birthday is the 26th), and Daniel is getting baptized on Sunday. We planned these together so John's mother could be here for both, only having to make one trip since she lives in Louisiana.

I was going to make two batches of cupcakes for the party, strawberry ones and chocolate chip cookie dough ones. I was going to make one batch yesterday and one today, and then I was going to freeze them. That way I wouldn't be super-busy on Saturday. I get my cupcake recipes from Cupcakes from the Cake Doctor by Anne Byrn. They are sooooo good. The strawberry ones have real strawberries in the mix and in the icing. I haven't made them before, but they sound very good. The cookie dough ones have a piece of chocolate chip cookie dough in the middle of them. They are good. Byrn starts with a cake mix, but she adds simple things to it like instant vanilla pudding to doctor them up, and they are so very good. I know I already said that, but it was worth repeating. The chocolate buttercream icing is so good that I could make a batch and just eat it. Of course, I won't do that because it would make me sick!

Anyway, I won't be making cupcakes. I still don't feel up to it today, and I think I'm going to take a nap while the children nap. I'm trying to take it kind of easy today, but I have a lot to do getting the house ready for my mother-in-law. At least, she is not a neat-freak; actually, she is far from it. (I won't say anymore about that because I might get myself in trouble.) The other thing is that we don't know when she and her husband will show up: today, tomorrow, or Saturday. Yes, we will get a phone call at some point; meanwhile, I need to have things pretty clean today. I'm just going to do what I can do.

The question remains, though: who will be the next in my family to succumb to the stomach flu? And when?

4 comments:

IF said...

oh no...(As Iza would say) not you all too! I hope you feel better really fast!! Makes me glad to be in Poland! haha.

Angela said...

Wow that stinks to have the flu-- Especially with the M-I-L coming! Hopefully she'll understand not only that you've been sick, but you've also just moved in!

MyKidsMom said...

So sorry to hear you've had the flu bug:(

You are a BRAVE lady to have a people party so soon after moving, hope everything goes well. Now you've made me curious about the MIL, LOL;)

Those cupcakes sound SO yummy! I think I'll see if I can find that book at our local library. Take care~

Laura said...

I'm sorry you got it too, Nikki. It's really going around. I saw a friend in the grocery store yesterday who has twins, and they've had it too. Yuk. I hope John, Sarah Beth and Daniel don't get it!