Friday, March 21, 2008

One of Those Days

Do you ever have a day when you realize that you will probably be able to get a lot accomplished for whatever reason? Well, I felt that way this morning. Daniel slept until 4:00 this morning. By the time I fed him and got him back to sleep, it was 5:00, and John was getting up. I figured that I could spend some time with him and get a few things done before the children woke up (they've been sleeping until 8:00 this week). Boy, was I wrong. I did get my shower - I know enough to get that done when I can! I had just warmed my muffins up for breakfast at 6:15 when I heard Daniel stirring. He started fussing, so I got him up and changed his diaper. (I change his diaper just about every time I touch him because, when he poots, a little bit of stool comes out which is part of why his diaper rash is so bad.) While I changed his diaper, he sprayed. So I got him cleaned up and changed his clothes and put into the swing. Then I cleaned up the floor. He was happy long enough for me to eat my breakfast. Then he started fussing again, so I changed his diaper again, and fed him. It was now 7:00 and time for him to eat again anyway. I thought that he would go back to sleep while eating, and I might have a little time before Sarah Beth woke up. Nope! I heard her stirring while I was feeding Daniel. After I got him put back down in his bassinet, I got Sarah Beth up and fed her. It is now 7:30.

While I was feeding Sarah Beth her oatmeal, Daniel woke up again. After I dressed Sarah Beth, I got him up and changed his diaper again. (I told you that I change his diaper every time I pick him up.) I put him back in the swing -- the only place he is happy for any amount of time -- and finally I was able to brush my teeth. It is now 8:00. I was also able to make the bed and toss some clothes in the washing machine.

Since both children were currently happy, I turned on the computer to check out the sales that Bi-Lo has this week. It doesn't take me long to look at them, but Daniel was fussing again before I was done. I picked him up and, you guessed it, changed his diaper. By this time he was flat out crying and would not be happy for anything, not for my holding him, not for the swing, nothing. I decided to try to let him cry himself to sleep since I knew he was tired. It is now 8:45. I put him in his bassinet to cry for 15 minutes. (I have tried this four times now, and I have only been successful once. My children just won't cry themselves to sleep.) My mom called at this point to ask how his diaper rash is and how the night went. We talked for those fifteen minutes (I was really hoping to get something accomplished), and Daniel was still awake and crying. I got him up at 9:00, and for once he seemed content for me to hold him. (My children also don't like to be held; I didn't either so they come by it honestly.) I sat down and rocked him to sleep.

Sarah Beth had been such a sweet girl all morning, playing quietly by herself. At this point, she came over to get some attention from me which was fine. We talked and played quietly. As soon as Daniel was good and asleep, she whacked him. Oh, well. So much for that nap. It is now 9:30, so I decided to go ahead and feed him again. I turned on a DVD of Christian children's music for Sarah Beth to watch while I fed him. I don't usually do this, but I needed her attention to be elsewhere while I tried to get Daniel asleep. He ate well and fell asleep.

Sarah Beth is still playing nicely by herself and doesn't seem to want any of my attention, so I figured I would come record this morning for you before it all blurred together. It is now 10:30, Daniel is still asleep (thank you, Lord, and please let him get a good nap), and I think I will go see if Sarah Beth would like me to read to her.

So much for my plans this morning. I have been up for 6 and a half hours and have not even started on my daily chores except that the bed is made. Ugh! Lunchtime is soon, and then naptime. Hopefully, I can get one, too.

6 comments:

mykidsmom said...

Bless your heart- there's nothing as challenging as keeping up with two little ones.

And good for you: you're smart enough to take advantage of getting a nap yourself when you can (hope they cooperate with that, LoL).

Take care Nikki:)

Laura said...

Oh wow, Nikki! I hope you got a nap this afternoon too!

daynagonzalez said...

Good idea to get the shower first....otherwise it could be after lunch before that happens!

~Babychaser~ said...

Good for you! I never did get my shower today, and I really wanted one! After reading about your day though, mine doesn't seem so bad. :)

IF said...

Oh no! As Iza would say...
I hope it is going much better today and that you got some rest last night. Keeping you in my prayers!
I hope his diaper rash is lots better too and that medicine is working!

Marva said...

Praying for you and yours sweet friend! Hang in there! Blessings!!