Friday, January 18, 2008

Moving

Addendum: The lady that was supposed to come look at our place today cancelled. Apparently, she was called into work or something like that. All that work I did yesterday for nothing!! But now my house is really clean and neat, so maybe not nothing.

John asked me this morning if I had blogged about our trying to sell our house. I told him that I had not because he had asked me to keep it quiet. (I'm sorry, Laura and Ivy; I wanted to tell you.) Well, he released me this morning from my "vow of silence."

When we got married, I rode horses a lot. I owned one that I boarded at a local stable. John became involved in riding as well, and we bought another horse. Our dream was to own our own farm which we finally did -- and do. The problems (they're not really problems!) started when I got pregnant. Pregnant women should not ride once they start showing; it throws off their balance. I had to stop riding when I was pregnant with Sarah Beth. After having her, it was still hard to ride with a newborn. Finally, I was able to ride again. But I got pregnant again. John does not like to ride by himself, and he does not want to be gone from us to go ride. So he has not ridden much the past couple of years, either. As a matter of fact, he has not ridden his horse since September.

We came to the difficult decision that it does not make sense to own a farm and horses if we are not going to ride. We tried to sell our place in the spring but got discouraged. We recently put it back on the market with a different (and hopefully better) agent with the determination to see it through this time. We still have a few horses to sell, and we are not having much luck with that, although a woman is looking at John's horse this morning. We've got our fingers crossed about that one because we think it would be a good match. We've known her for years.

I like living out here in the country. I like how quiet it is, how there is no traffic, that the grocery store is really nice but never busy. I like the solitude. John has a great commute to work: it is about 20 minutes with almost no traffic or traffic lights. We would move into a nearby suburban neighborhood that would be very different, but John and I both grew up in similar neighborhoods. John's commute would be horrible, though. They are doing a lot of construction on the interstates around us. It would probably take him 45 minutes to an hour to get home, and it would be an unpleasant drive.

Anyway, I am writing all of this for the reason that someone is coming to look at our house today. I have a few last things to do, then Sarah Beth and I are leaving to go run errands and take a nap (her not me) at my mom's house.

I would like to say, "Please pray that our house sells quickly," but I am not sure that I want it to. With this baby coming in a month, I don't feel capable of packing up the house. And I certainly don't want to try with a newborn. I would really rather we not sell for five or six months. However, God could use our selling the house now to show us (me!) that we cannot do it all ourselves, that we need to ask for help. John and I both have huge independent streaks running down our backs. I have been praying for God's will to be done. That is what I ask you to pray as well. Thank you.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Nikki,

We'll be praying! I completely understand your not wanting to pack up and move right now. But if your house does sell now we'll definitely help as much as we can!

~Babychaser~ said...

Wow... so much on your plate for having one month to go! I can't even imagine (and I thought the mouse and multiple kitchen deep cleans were bad!) :) Is it that impractical to stay in your home (that you love) in the country (that you love) with the great commute and just to sell the horses? Then down the road when the kids are older you could have horses again. Just a thought... though I'm sure you've gone through this discussion before. :)

Nikki said...

Laura,
thank you for the offer of help with moving. We would certainly appreciate it.

Babychaser,
the thing I forgot to mention is all the maintenance that 30 acres requires. I can't do it, and John doesn't want to spend his evenings and weekends mowing, fertilizing, planting, bush-hogging, etc.. He wants to be inside with us. Otherwise, it would be nice to stay here.

Marva said...

Hang tight........he will see you through! Praying for his will. You're in my thoughts!

Living on a farm takes a lot of hard work and devotion. Trust me, I know. It will be okay, somehow, through HIM!

IF said...

I wish I could be there to help if it does sell right now! Moving is so much work. I remember trying to rent out our condo and having the agent call me and say someone whould come by and they never showed up. At least the condo was small, and I would clean like mad and wait and wait... that is very frustrating.
Horses are so much work. We finally sold our horses when we were in college and it was so sad at first but then the most liberating thing for mostly my mom. She seemed to be the one who ended up doing all the work because we were busy with school. It is so much work. She and my dad could vacation easier and they did not have the stress and maintenance to worry about so much. I know it is all in God's hands! Will be praying for you! :)